International Centers and Japanese Schools
This list is by no means exhaustive! Speak to renewers in your region, your JTE, and also CIRs in your town, as they are likely to be the best sources of information.
– Intec Building (Tower 111) 4th floor, 5-5 Ushijimashin-machi, Toyama-shi 930-0856
– (5 min. walk from the north exit of JR Toyama station)
– Japanese courses are not offered, but the center’s bulletin board is a good resource for potential teachers and language partners. VERY helpful staff (some staff members can speak English).
– TEL: 076-444-2500
– CIC Building 3F, Toyama Eki-mae
– This center offers Japanese language classes in groups at a couple of different levels for 300 a class and has VERY helpful staff (some staff members can speak English). The beginner’s classes are on Wednesdays from 7-8.30. Uses the “minna no nihongo” textbooks.
– TEL: 076-444-0642
– Oizumi-cho 3-5-12, Toyama-shi 939-8087
– Japonica will arrange private or group classes for any level, usually between 1 and 4 individuals per class. Their price is 3,000 yen for two hours if in a group, and 2,500 yen per hour for individual lessons. There is a 5,000 yen consultation fee to decide your level, and you must pay for your textbooks – “Japanese for Busy People” or “Minna no Nihongo”. Japonica is easily accessible via the Tram bound for Minami Toyama, get off at the Kokandomae (広貫堂前) stop. A map is available on the site.
4. Toyama International Academy TEL: 076-441-9360
– 4-22 Yonehara Biru, Shimonshin, Toyama-shi
– The TIA offers group and individual classes suitable for any level. There is a registration/entrance fee of 22,000 yen. They prefer that lessons be paid for 12 at a time. The charge is 4,000 yen for a 90 min class. For 12 lessons plus class tax, it is 50,400 yen. You can have 2-3 classes a week if you so desire.
5. CJS Conversation Class
– Kan Nihonkai Koryu Kaikan
– This class is for all levels. It’s a casual and practical conversation class. This class is not about passing tests. Many people pass 3kyu or 2kyu and they still can’t speak Japanese. This class concentrates on learning how real Japanese people speak and how not to sound like a dork from a textbook. This class focuses on weird Japanese culture, fieldtrips and role-playing sessions. 6:30-8:00pm on Thursdays. 1,500 yen per class.
– Contact: email@example.com
6. Toyama YMCA Takaoka Center
– Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
-(Opposite the New Otani Hotel, in the “El Paseo” building, near momonoki house.)
– 500 yen an hour, registration is in August and classes start in September. Flexible group sizes and times. A reservation is needed and can be done by filling out an Application and Questionnaire Form. Good for conversational Japanese and covering the basics before the CLAIR course.
– TEL: 076-626-4656
– Daiwa 7F, 101 Otaya-machi, Takaoka-shi 933-0029
– This center has a volunteer tutoring program, but the teachers vary (according to whether or not they volunteer and how much they charge, etc.) It’s best to contact the center directly.
– TEL: 076-627-1856
8. Takaoka Kawara Citizen’s Hall
– (Address: same as above, sponsored by the International Exchange Center)
– Sunday from 7:00 to 8:30. 100 yen to become a member, and then 1,000 yen per month. Interested applicants must call.
– TEL: 076-627-1856
– Himi City Office, 1-1 Marunouchi, Himi-shi
– TEL: 0766-74-8011
10. Uozu City Hall
– Either contact Uozu City Hall or talk to someone in Uozu about it. They will help you find tutors who work on a volunteer basis, to meet at the Uozu City Hall.
-At the moment they meet at 6pm on Thursdays, and use the “minna no nihongo” textbooks. The lessons are free but you pay 1000yen a month to cover the teacher’s transportation costs.
11. Nihongo Kyoushitsu
– This Japanese class is held every other Sunday in Fukumitsu, Nanto. Classes are 300 yen on a pay-as-you-come basis. There are both beginner and intermediate courses, featuring a number of volunteer teachers from around Nanto. It is a great class with lots of one-on-one practice! For more information, contact Eric Jutila (Nanto CIR) at email@example.com or the Nanto Goodwill Exchange Association.
– Rifare 3rd floor, 1-3-5 Honmachi, Kanazawa 920-0853 TEL: 076-252-5931 FAX: 076-263-5931
-Offers private as well as scheduled classes. Scheduled classes are either Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday, from 5:00 to 6:30, depending on your level. The cost is 4,000 yen per month. Please call for more information and an application. Highly recommended for people who live near Kanazawa (Tonami Region or Takaoka).