There are many ways to call back home cheaply from Japan. DO NOT CALL DIRECT! The charge for using your normal NTT phone service to call overseas is ridiculous. Use a discount carrier.
Below lists paying options for calling landlines to your home countries. If you have a computer and internet, you can always use your preferred IM client to stay in touch with people back home.
- Good description on website.
- Register your phone numbers with World Link and use a 4 digit code to make calls.
- Register and never use the service – no charge.
- ONLY accepts credit card payment.
2. Pingo (calling card):
- Sign up for an account.
- To call home: dial the Japanese access number (00531121746) and follow the instructions listed on the website.
- $1 a month usage fee
- Credit card or Paypal.
- Free to register.
- Works best with external microphone.
- Talk free with other Skype Users.
- SkypeOut – call landlines from your computer (rates apply).
- Credit card or PayPal
- US, Canadian and UK.
- Essential you will have a local number from your home here in Japan that will ring through your land line.
- Requires sign-up, internet access AND specific equipment from home (US, UK or Canada).
- May be good option if you talk to A LOT of people from home and you are staying more then one year.
- Available at all convenience stores (Lawson, Family Mart)
- Ask in Japanese: “IC terehon kado arimasu ka?” or “Puripeido-denwa-dado arimasu ka?”
- Maybe rechargeable
- Perhaps best to have for emergency only. *May require an international pay phone (People have